National Society Daughters of the American Revolution Logo

Colonel John Streett Chapter, NSDAR

Timonium, Maryland

  History of Our Chapter

Colonel John Streett Chapter, NSDAR, was organized by Katherine Streett Davis Scarborough on October 12, 1964. Mrs. Scarborough, the organizing regent of our chapter and the Streett family historian, is a direct descendant of Colonel John Streett (July 30, 1762 - May 7, 1836).

History of Colonel John Streett

The Streett family is one of the oldest families in northern Harford County, Maryland. Colonel John Streett was the son of Thomas Streett, who came to America from England with his brothers, David and John, early in the eighteenth century. In 1759, Thomas Streett received a patent for a tract of 700 acres near Rocks, Maryland, called "Streett's Hunting Ground."

It was on this plantation that John Streett was born. In 1784, John married Martha St. Clair, and they had seven sons and two daughters. Many of their descendants are living in Harford County today.

On February 12, 1812, John Streett was commissioned as Colonel of the 7th Regiment of the Harford County Cavalry and was a hero in the battle of the North Point during the War of 1812. His portrait hangs in the Harford County Courthouse, Bel Air, Maryland. Colonel John Streett was commended by Major General Samuel Smith for his bravery and efficiency in action.

In addition to managing his plantation, Colonel John Streett took an active part in politics and served in the Maryland Legislature for twelve consecutive terms from 1799 to 1811. He was buried in a private cemetery on the Streett estate but was moved to Holy Cross Episcopal Church Cemetery, Harford County, Maryland. The Streett family gave the land and built the church in 1888.